Who doesn’t love chili!?
Well, personally I didn’t for quite some time until a ditched the beans and added in potato instead. You can substitute different ground meats I simply chose to make it leaner than using beef by combining equal parts extra-lean ground bison with ground turkey. You could do turkey and chicken, or just stick with all ground turkey.
Removing most of the fat with the lean meats and now some of the fibre by replacing the beans with sweet potato, I decided to bump up the protein even more by adding some of the unflavoured/unsweetened Protein Boost.
- 10 oz of extra-lean ground bison meat
- 10 oz extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt, or to taste
- 10 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes or smaller
- 1 scoop of Protein Boost (unflavoured/unsweetened vegan protein powder)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown bison and turkey over medium-high heat with olive or grapeseed oil, breaking it up as it cooks into smaller pieces and season with salt and cumin.
- When meat is browned and cooked through add mushroom, onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, sweet potato, tomato sauce, water, cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are soft and cooked through, about 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in 1 scoop of Protein Boost.
- Add 1/4 – 1/3 cup more water if needed.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
1 cup per serving