Hemp hearts–shelled hemp seed–are a wondrous thing. These tiny seeds are loaded with protein, fibre, and omega-3 fats among many other vitamins. They provide great texture and can be an added benefit to those seeking an added protein boost in their diet. I particularily love adding them to protein bars. Note in this recipe a used a plain vegan protein with no flavour or sweetener. The dates and optional liquid stevia provided all of the necessary sweetness.
- 1 1/2 cups dates (blended into a paste)
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 scoops protein boost (I used Arbonne’s unflavoured/unsweetened protein powder)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp whole chia seeds
- A few drops of liquid stevia (optional)
- 3-5 heaping tbsp almond butter
- Blend the dates into a paste and place into a large bowl.
- Measure out all dry ingredients and add into the bowl with the dates.
- Scoop out 3 heaping tablespoons of almond butter (or nut/seed butter of choice) along with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and place and mix
- Add a few drops of liquid stevia and another 1-2 tablespoons of almond butter if needed. Continue to mix until a dough like ball is formed.
- Either pack the dough ball firmly into an 8×8 pan to cut into bars or form small bite sized protein balls (roughly 20 total).
- Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours before cutting.
- Keep in the fridge for the week or wrap and freeze for later.