A question I get asked quite often is what I typically eat in a day which does vary depending on my goals, but the bulk of how I set up meals, snacks, and the pre/post workout nutrition is the same.
Some may think nutritionists are food snobs constantly judging everyone’s shopping cart… and I still do, but we are lovers of food too! Which means all foods… yes that includes pizza and ice cream!
I love food! Did I mention how much I love food? I need a plan in place and do consistent prep or else I too fall victim to purchasing and eating certain foods in the moment. Outlined below is generally what I eat all year around, with slight variation when trying to add a bit of muscle and strength during the off season… aka the winter months.
- 2 scoops of vegan protein (1 vanilla flavour, 1 plain unflavoured)
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 cup frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries, peaches)
- 1 scoop greens powder or handful frozen spinach
- 1 packet of digestion plus (prebiotic, probiotic, and digestive enzyme blend)
- Small apple with 1/4 cup nuts (usually walnuts, cashews, or almonds)
- 2 cups of iced green tea with lemon
- 3 cups of mixed greens (baby spinach, baby kale, romaine)
- 1 cup chopped veggies (cucumber, bell pepper, red onion)
- Greek dressing (olive oil based)
- 2 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 5-6 oz. chicken or piece of salmon
Pre-Workout — Drink 1 scoop caffeine-free pre-workout 20-30mins before workout
Intra-Workout — Drink 1 energy fizz stick in 500mL of water
Post-Workout — Drink protein shake with After Workout BCAA supplement and Oatmeal
- 5-6 oz. lean protein (steak, chicken, or white fish)
- 1 medium sweet potato or 1/2 cup rice or 1 cup rice pasta
- 1-2 cups of roasted broccoli with garlic and lemon or another salad
- Egg Omelette or Protein Shake or Protein Pancake or just a decaf Herbal Tea
Workout days include the 2nd Protein Shake and extra carbs when rest or moderately active days I’ll skip the starchy carbs.